The original recipe is "Secret Agent Raspberry Bars" and is in Chef Michael Schlow's new cookbook, "It's About Time". But, I have been on a huckleberry roll, so I used some huckleberry preserves I had. You can use what ever seedless jam you like.
I can't tell you why these are called secret agent raspberry bars! Boston Chef Michael Schlow says, he can't say without putting his life in jeopardy. Well, it all sounds very "cloak and dagger" to me! So, it was the perfect dessert to serve our friends Gerry and Lin the other night, on the veranda! Gerry has so many great stories to tell when he was a spy..............long since retired and enjoying the good life. He has lived all over the world, we enjoyed dinner at he and Lin's home in Whistler last Winter. Lin cooked and taught us how to make Chinese spare ribs that we all enjoyed, and we blogged about. Wednesday night I served a delicious Collard green salad with black eyed peas, provolone cheese and sliced almonds with a lemony vinegarette, Rotisserie Filet of Beef, Twice baked potatoes, Tink's grilled vegetables and for dessert......"Secret Agent Huckleberry Bars"!
Secret Agent Huckleberry Bars
adapted from Michael Schlow
3/4 c. softened butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. chopped pecans
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tap. salt
8 ounces (1 cup) Huckberry preserves
1/2 c. sweetened, flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using mixer, beat together butter and sugar at medium speed.
- Add flour and mix well. Add chopped pecans, almond extract, and salt, stirring until the flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup of the flour mixture and press the remainder into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Spread raspberry preserves evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved flour mixture over the preserves.
- Sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Bake until the crust and topping are golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares
We had a lovely evening and my Huckleberry Bars were a huge hit....there was only this little crumb left over..........yum!