Red, White & Blue Funfetti Cookies
-adapted from two peas & their pod
1 cup unsalted butter; at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup red, white and blue jimmie sprinkles
2 tablespoons red, white and blue nonpareil sprinkles
For the cream cheese frosting, refer to this post for the recipe: June SRS -Red Velvet Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and egg. Beat until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until ingredients are combined. Gently mix in the sprinkles. Don't overmix or the sprinkles will bleed into the dough.
4. Form cookie dough into small balls, about a teaspoon in size. Place cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown around the edges. The cookies will harden as they cool, so don't over bake.
5. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
6. Once you have made your cream cheese frosting (refer to link above for recipe) use a blue gel food color to tint the frosting your desired shade of blue.
7. To make the sandwich cookies, pipe (using a pastry bag or plastic bag) small dollops of frosting on a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top. You can store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Check out last years post from JJ, with a great recipe and tutorial for skewers on the 4th of July! Skewer your 4th with this!
JJ and I wish you all a fun and festive 4th of July! Remember, be safe if you are letting off your own firework show. We've already bought ours and are looking forward to having some fun!
I am going to leave you with a couple really cute pictures TT took of the hunt terriers this week.